So today I wanted to carry on discussing the natural beauty products we make at home! You can read my previous post here, but today is about the actual products and how to make them!
Everyone enjoys a good face mask, and whether this is an exfoliator you whip out once a week or a fresh mask from Lush, you are always guaranteed to feel the benefits immediately. I am someone who loves the Lush face masks, but as they are fresh they do of course have an expiration date. So why not whip up a little face mask at home, and you can therefore make as little or as much as you would like!
Banana face mask:
So the first mask is the easiest thing you can do. Bananas are great for moisturising your face and this is a really simple way to get your skin looking and feeling softer.
- Mash up a medium-sized ripe banana until it is a smooth paste, then gently apply it to your face.
- You can let this rest for about 10-15 minutes then wash off gently. (Try and use a banana that is nice and ripe) You can also combine a little honey and yoghurt with this as well.
Oatmeal Facial mask:
Oatmeal masks are always popular and it’s easy to see why. Not only does it contain amino acids, and can work as a natural exfoliant, combined with other ingredients it can also help skin retain moisture.
In order to make a mask…
- combine 1/2 cup hot water and 1/3 cup oatmeal.
- Leave the water and oatmeal to settle before mixing in 2 tablespoons of honey, egg white from 1 small egg and 2 tablespoons of plain yoghurt.
- You will only need a thin layer applied to your skin, and let this sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
Cucumber mask:Cucumber is another excellent product to use for a face mask as it has cooling properties that help reduce puffiness and redness.
For this mask you will need a blender.
- Blend half a cucumber with tablespoon of yoghurt (plain), you can even add an ice-cube to make it extra cool and enjoyable.
- Apply the mask and leave for 15- 20 minutes. Why not grab two slices of cucumber for your eyes too!
- Rinse off with warm water.
Now sugar scrubs are something I really enjoy, they are effective, come in all kind of varieties and easy to make! I actually think they would make great gifts too as you can create something special for a friend or loved one and they can see how much effort has gone into it. Here are just a few ideas, but take a look on pinterest or google and you will find so many recipes.
A basic sugar scrub will contain white or brown sugar, olive oil or coconut oil and then essential oil if you wish. So take this as your base recipe and build from there.
Coffee body scrub:
1 Cup Ground Coffee (Try organic if you can)
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
1 Tablespoon Vanilla (optional)
1 Cup Organic Sugar
- Melt down the coconut oil and allow it to cool, but not too much as it will turn solid again.
- Mix all ingredients together and store in a mason jar.
- Use 1-2 times a week in the shower. You can scrub your skin with this and then get in the shower, whichever you prefer.
Another scrub I love is the basic recipe made with coconut oil and Sweet almond oil added in at the end. Put this is a cute mason jar and add some decorative detail and you have the perfect little gift yourself or a friend!
So there you have it. Some homemade beauty recipes to get you started. There are so many terrific ideas out there, so why not see what lovely products you can create.
Thanks for reading everyone 🙂